Town of Dunn Storm Shelter
The Town Storm Shelter has been featured in a FEMA publication. Read more about how the Town and FEMA worked together to create this storm shelter.
On November 13, 2009, the Town of Dunn opened a storm shelter at 699 Norman Drive in the Bay View Heights Neighborhood. During severe weather, the building will be open to anyone wishing to seek shelter. The following is a list of rules that must be followed while at the storm shelter.
- No smoking.
- No drugs or alcohol.
- Walk to shelter if walking can be done safely.
- If you must bring a pet, it must be confined within a carrier and placed in the designated pet area in the shelter.
- Follow instructions of On-site operations team members in red vests.
- Report any problems or injuries to the On-site Operations team.
- Supervise children closely and keep them nearby.
- Please keep noise to a minimum so that weather updates and instructions can be heard.
- All music and entertainment devices must be used with earphones or muted.
- Maintain a calm and orderly atmosphere.
What to Bring to the Shelter:
- Any needed prescriptions, over-the-counter medication or medical equipment.
- Personal care items, baby care items.
- Important papers.
- Appropriate clothing for weather conditions.
What NOT to Bring to the Shelter:
- No illegal drugs, no alcohol, and no weapons of any kind will be allowed in the shelter.
- No large items that take up space needed for people.
- It's best if you do not bring your pet, but if you feel you must, the pet must be confined in a carrier and must be kept in the designated storage area for pets.
- Don't bring a car if you can safely walk to the shelter.